Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Excuses, Thanks & Compliments

Excuses, Thanks & Compliments

SMPN 2 TANGERANG
ENGLISH CLUB
Grade 7 and 8

Excuses (maaf/ penyesalan)
• May I beg you a pardon? • I was just saying that … (repeating what have been said before).
• Pardon?
• I am sorry. • It’s okay.
• It’s alright.
• It doesn’t matter to me.
• Never mind.
• Don’t worry.
• I am sorry for coming late.
• It’s all my fault
• It’s very regrettable.
• Please, forgive me. • I forgive you.
• Please, don’t be angry. • I am not. It’s okay.
• Excuse, me. • Yes, please.
• I am sorry that you didn’t come to see me. • Yes, me too.
Thanks (ucapan terima kasih)
• Thank you very much/ a lot/ anyway. • You’re welcome; or
• It’s okay; or
• Don’t mention it.
• With my pleasure.
• Thank you.
• Thanks.
• Many thanks.
• I’m very grateful.
• It was very kind of you.
• I don’t know how to thank you.
Compliments (pujian)
• I like your …....
• Your … is very nice. Thank you.

CONVERSATION II
Home
Mr. Krueger : Good morning, Mr. Reeves. How are you?
Mr. Reeves : Fine, thank you. How are you?
Mr. Krueger : Fine, thanks. I’m on my home. Do you want to see my new house?
Mr. Reeves : Yes, I do. Is it far?
Mr. Krueger : No, I walk to the college every morning. It takes about ten minutes.
Mr. Reeves : I like this street.
Mr. Krueger : It’s Elm Street. We’re on the number 13th. Here’s our house now.
Mr. Reeves : You have a beautiful yard, Mr. Krueger.
Mr. Krueger : Thank you. My family enjoys it very much. We spend a lot of time here in summer. Please come in.
Mr. Reeves : Your living room is very attractive. I like your large windows.
Mr. Krueger : We like plenty of light.
Mr. Reeves : Is your furniture new? It seems quite modern.
Mr. Krueger : Yes, it’s new. My wife and I like modern furniture. It’s very comfortable. In fact, we have a comfortable house.
Mr. Reeves : Do you have a bedroom downstairs?
Mr. Krueger : No. Our three bedrooms are upstairs. Downstairs we have a living room, a dining room and a kitchen. We have a bathroom downstairs, too. It has a toilet and a washbasin.
Mr. Reeves : Do you have a bathroom upstairs too?
Mr. Krueger : Yes, the upstairs bathroom has a tub and a shower. And, of course, it has a toilet and a washbasin too.
Mr. Reeves : Do you have a large family, Mr. Krueger?
Mr. Krueger : We have three children. Our two boys have their room, and the baby girl has her room. They use the yard as their playroom in summer.
Mr. Reeves : Do they have a playroom in the winter?
Mr. Krueger : They use the boy’s room. It’s quite large.
Mr. Reeves : I like your home very much.
Mr. Krueger : Do you own your house?
Mr. Reeves : no, we rent our house. But we want to buy a house soon.
Mr. Krueger : We enjoy ours. Please drop in again.
Mr. Reeves : Thank you very much.

Read out loud
1. Put the stress on the first word:
Flower garden This is my flower garden.
Vegetable garden My husband has a vegetable garden.
Sewing machine Do you own a sewing machine?
Dining room Your dining room is quite large.
Living room Mr. Krueger’s living room is very attractive.
Autumn weather We like autumn weather.
Winter weather This is real winter weather.
Reading lamp Mr. Reeves has a modern reading lamp.
2. some, meaning more than one, is not stressed:
I have some new stamps.

some, meaning not all, is stressed:
Some stamps are beautiful.

We’re growing some flowers.
Some flowers begin to grow very early.
Do you have some books for me?
Some people get up very early.

Use the verb ‘have’
Mr. and Mrs. Krueger …. a new house.
You …. have a new watch.
Tom …. a computer.
They …. a big dog.

Use ‘a’ or ‘the’
1. We have …… house, and …… house is on Pahlawan Street.
2. …… sun is in …… sky.
3. Is that …… pencil? No, it’s …… pen.
4. Do you have …… typewriter? Where is …… typewriter?
5. …… moon is behind the clouds.
6. Where is …… English class?
7. Dick is …… student.
8. …… window is closed.
9. Is …… earth round?
10. This is …… new teacher.

The Simple Present describes
- Something permanent: He lives in Surabaya.
- Or something habitual: We eat rice every day.

Turn the verbs into the right form:
1. He (go) to the office at eight o’clock.
2. We (have) breakfast early in the morning.
3. My friend (like) modern furniture.
4. A red light (mean): STOP!
5. The class (begin) at nine.

Give answers to the following questions:
1. Do you like your house?
2. Do your brothers/sisters study at the university?
3. Does this English Club class begin at nine o’clock?
4. Do you want to go to the mall?
5. Do you use your computer every day?



Garden

Mr. Krueger : My wife is coming home now. I hear her at the door. Hello, Cathy. I want you to meet my friend, Mr. Reeves.
Mrs. Krueger : How do you do, Mr. Reeves.
Mr. Reeves : How do you do, Mrs. Krueger. I’m glad to meet you. Your husband is showing me your home. It’s very nice.
Mrs. Krueger : Thank you. We like it. We enjoy our yard too. We have two gardens at the back; there we grow some flowers and vegetables. Do you want to see our gardens?
Mr. Reeves : Yes, thank you. I like flowers very much. Is the weather good for your garden?
Mrs. Krueger : Yes, it’s very good. In spring we have a lot of rain. Some flowers begin to grow very early.
Mr. Reeves : Do you have vegetables early too?
Mrs. Krueger : Yes, we have a lot of vegetables in early summer. It rains very little then. The weather is warm, and the sun shines every day. In autumn the nights are cold.
Mr. Reeves : Do you like winter weather, Mrs. Krueger?
Mrs. Krueger : No, I like warm weather.
Mr. Krueger : My wife likes three seasons – spring, summer and autumn. She likes to spend a lot of time in her garden.
Mr. Reeves : the summer is very hot. I like spring and autumn weather.
Mr. Krueger : Today is a nice day. The sky is clear, the sun is shining and the wind is blowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment